Common Mistakes Homeowners Make With Their Heating System
The maintenance of your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems plays a vital role in their efficiency and performance. Although most homeowners don’t want to compromise on the quality of heating or cooling in their homes, there are inadvertent lapses that occur. These mistakes can result in reduced performance, affect the life of the system and result in an increase in the cost of heating due to faulty systems.
At Hayes Heating and Cooling, we want to help you get the most out of your HVAC system and cut down on your heating bill. To help you do so, here’s a list of the most common mistakes people make with their heating systems and how to avoid them.
1. Forgetting about the furnace filter. Most homeowners forget to clean or replace their furnace filter. We all are human, and we are going to fail to remember at times. However, a dirty furnace filter is going to add money on your heating bill which can be as much as $100 or $200 per year! If you can’t remember to clean the furnace filter or if you don’t want to get dirty then you might want to consider an annual service contract on your heating system along with filter changes. It can cost $14 per month to clean and service your system devices and filters.
2. Neglecting annual maintenance. The lack of annual maintenance on your furnace, AC, and the water heater may prove to be costly. An annual cleaning will help you save money on your fuel bill and pays for itself. Many high tech parts need regular cleaning and servicing at least once a year. You can opt for a service agreement that will keep you free from worrying about the regular servicing of your system because the HVAC company you sign up with will handle the routine maintenance for you without you having to remind them about it.
3. Not upgrading your old thermostat. Did you know that the new digital set-back programmable thermostats can help you save up to 20% on your heating bill? Most homes spend an average of $1500 per year on heating. The latest technology makes these thermostats highly desirable for saving money and making your home more comfortable. Plus they only cost $200 to $300. What’s more is that they can connect to your smartphone and give you much more information than previous models did.
4. Ignoring your water heater. Most homeowners use hot water until their water heater in the garage either quits working or leaks. All water heater manufacturers recommend flushing or draining your water heater once a year, but most of us do nothing. Flushing a tank type water heater gets the sediment out of the bottom and lets the heat get into the water more efficiently with less waste. This saves you money on your heat bill and helps your equipment last longer, too.
5. Neglecting your outdoor unit. Homeowners with heat pumps or air conditioners allow dirt to collect in their outdoor unit. They allow moss to grow, leaves, and fir needles to gather, and white fluff to build up which ultimately cause a significant reduction of airflow over these coils. Modern-day units have more fins for higher efficiency, but they trap more debris and need a thorough cleaning. If you don’t know how to clean it properly, have us clean your system coil, along with both your indoor and outdoor units.
6. Not cleaning the air ducts at regular intervals. Over time, an excessive amount of dust and debris builds up inside your heating ducts beneath the floor. You can’t see it, but it’s there. Ideally, the air ducts should be cleaned out every three years to keep your heating system functioning at its optimal best. Having clean ducts is excellent for better hygiene and less stuffiness while living indoors.
To get the best out of your heating, ventilation, and cooling system, reach out to the experts at Hayes Heating and Cooling. Established in 1978, we are a family owned and operated heating and air conditioning company in Seattle, WA, that is focussed on helping you get the best HVAC services. Our family business mentality allows us to create long-lasting relationships with our customers and become their first choice for duct cleaning and furnace cleaning services.